Side Effects Of Protein Shakes, It Could Be Reducing Your Lifespan: Study

Just like you turn on air-conditioner in summer but you can’t choose your home at Antarctica for staying, staying at extreme cold might damage your health to death. Anything beyond our body-comfort is injurious to health. This is clear that while consuming whey supplement you are basically consuming a good amount of whey protein. If you consume just 3 -4 scoops of whey daily there won’t be a problem. But if you consume an extremely high amount of whey protein I then it could be harmful to your body. Smashing a protein shake right after a workout is often just as satisfying as the exercise itself. Job has done, gains made, throw that thing back for maximum muscle boost.

Image: Source

And when we say a negative side effect, we mean an early death. Damn. Whey protein is a natural protein supplement just like any other supplement such as Bournvita, Horlicks or Boost. The only difference is that whey protein is a pure protein supplement i.e 80% protein and the remaining 20% is carbs and other nutrients. Whereas other supplements (Horlicks, bournvita) are just the opposite i.e. 20% protein and rest 80% other nutrients. But the explosion in popularity of amino acid-packing shakes (and bars) could be coming with a negative side effect.

Here are the conclusions of new research from the Charles Perkins Centre at the University of Sydney in Australia and issued this week in Nature Metabolism.

Image: Source

The analysis was led by Professor Stephen Simpson and Dr. Samantha Solon-Biet. Concurrently with their co-researchers, Simpson and Solon-Biet learned that while the branch chain amino acids (BCAAs) found in protein shakes do deliver muscle-building benefits, excessive consumption cannot simply reduce lifespan but kill your mood and lead to mass gain.

“While diets high in protein and low in carbohydrates were shown to be beneficial for reproductive function, they had detrimental effects for health in mid-late life, and also led to a shortened lifespan,” Solon-Biet spoke in a news statement.

Image: Source

“What this new research has shown is that amino acid balance is important and it’s best to vary sources of protein to ensure you’re getting the best amino acid balance.”, they said further.

Helping with rats, researchers discovered that high levels of BCAAs in the blood compete with tryptophan, another essential amino acid, for transportation into the head. Tryptophan is the sole precursor for serotonin, the “happiness chemical,” which not only enhances mood but promotes rest. That’s immediately a pretty serious issue, but lowered serotonin is also a potent signal to increase hunger.

For the experiment, mice were fed for life either double the normal amount of BCAAs, a standard amount, half or one fifth. Mice who were fed the double amount of BCAAs upped their food intake, resulting in obesity and a subsequent decrease in lifespan.

Image: Source

“The serotonin decrease caused by excess BCAA intake led to massive overeating in our mice, which became hugely obese and lived shorter lives,” Simpson described.

You require to mix up proteins. For BCAAs, turn to red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, beans, lentils, nuts and soy proteins. Get your tryptophans right by including seeds, nuts, soybeans, cheese, chicken, turkey and, uh, crocodile (crazy Philipines) in your diet.

You undoubtedly need to dump that canister of whey protein down the garbage chute. But what you do need to do, the researchers say, is make sure you’re mixing up your proteins so you’re getting a good variety of amino acids.

Image: Source

We think that almost everything, be it good or bad may have side effects. One should definitely be aware of what they might be. Whey protein is likely safe for most children and adults when taken by mouth properly. High doses can cause some side effects such as increased bowel moves, nausea, thirst, tiredness (fatigue), headache, appetite disorder, bloating and cramps.

Cover Image: Source

Leave a Reply

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

One Comment

Man Swipes Right Only To Ridicule A Lady On Tinder, Then Begins A Grand Twist

Smoky Cigarettes Places Increases High Blood Pressure Risk, Bad For Heart